Apparatus updates by Jack Lerch Re-printed from Fire Apparatus Journal May-June 1999
Re-printed from Fire Apparatus Journal May-June 1999
THE FIRST NEW FIRE COMPANY ORGANIZED within FDNY since 1987 entered service on November 9,1998, as Ladder Company 133. The new unit shares quarters with Engine Company 275 at 111-36 Merrick Boulevard in the very busy South Jamaica area of Queens. This modern station was opened in 1960. In 1997, Engine 275 had 4140 runs, of which 2688 were workers. Ladder 133 has been assigned a 1994 Seagrave 100-foot rear-mount that originally was assigned to Ladder 6 in Manhattan. In March, 1995, Ladder 6 was given a re-assigned 1989 Seagrave 100-foot tiller, formerly Ladder 175, due to the narrow streets in their first alarm area which includes Chinatown. At that time, the 1994 Seagrave rear-mount was re-assigned to the Chauffeur Training School at the Fire Academy. An interesting sidelight is that the former fire station of Engine 206 at 1196 Metropolitan Avenue, Brooklyn, had "Hook & Ladder 133" over one of its apparatus doors, however the intended company was never formed there.
Delivery of the add-on order of twenty-four 1998 Seagrave 1000 8pm pumpers continues, with all expected to be in service by the time this is in print. The Department has disposed of all of the 1980 American LaFrance pumpers, most of the 1982 and 1983 American LaFrance pumpers, all of the 1983 Mack high pressure pumpers and several of the 1984 Mack/Ward 79 pumpers. Many other 1984 and 1985 Mack pumpers have been designated as reserve pumpers and re-numbered in the 500 series.
The Department has acquired, at no cost, a former yellow school bus, a 1977 Chevrolet with a Wayne body. It has repainted in the standard white-over-red color scheme with striping, and will be used as a mobile mask confidence course vehicle by the Bureau of Training. The 1988 GMC/Carpenter personnel carrier, also assigned to the Bureau of Training, has also been given a new white-over-red paint job and with striping.