Engine Company 233 Brooklyn
Henry Whittam doing "watch" Photo sent in by Dennis Whittam , his son.
The "Fightin' 33rd" as we call her (referring to her original designation
under the Brooklyn F.D.), was established on October 2nd, 1893 at 243 Hull
street. The company would derive it's original slogan from these quarters
that she would occupy for 94 years (To Hull & BacK!) She joined the Brooklyn
- Queens F.D. on February 23, 1898 and would later become Engine 133. After
incorporation into the new F.D.N.Y. we were designated Engine Company 233 on
January 1, 1913. The company permanently relocated to 25 Rockaway, Brooklyn,
NY on June 22nd, 1987 and is quartered with Ladder 176, the Field
Communications Unit, and the Computer Assisted Dispatch Unit (CADO). Since we
were no longer on Hull Street we modified our motto to "To Hell & Back!".
Kitchen of Engine 233 and Ladder 176. Photo By: Tim Keller
by: DONALD VAN HOLT (Ladder 103 / Engine 216 / Ladder 108 Retired, 1983)