Engine Company 216 Brooklyn

Engine 216, quartered since Oct. 12,1971 at 187 Union Avenue, Williamsburg, Bklyn., began life on Sept. 15, 1872 as Engine 16 in the old City of Brooklyn Fire Department at the quarters of former Eastern District Volunteer Hose Company 6, built in 1850, and which still stands today at 11 Scholes Street

(Engine 216s old quarters still stands today.)

The old firehouse was mentioned in the best-selling novel, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", which was later made into a classic movie. Engine 16 was intergrated into the FDNY on Jan. 1, 1898. On October 1, 1899, Engine 16 was renumbered to Engine 116. Fourteen years later, on January 1,1913, Engine co. 116 was renumbered Engine Co. 216, as it is known today. During the 125 years only one member's life was lost, that of Capt. William Baldwin, the first member of the Brooklyn Fire Department to be killed in the line of duty. Capt. Baldwin was killed by the falling walls of the Otto Huber Brewery on Jan. 14, 1880. A striking monument stands over the grave where Captain Baldwin was laid to rest in Evergreen Cemetary in Bushwick, Brooklyn.

Engine 216s old quarters still stands today.

Captain Baldwin walked the floors of this building, think about that.

Captain Baldwin died January 20, 1880.

Photo taken February 18, 1997.


[Return to Main page]